Up to 100 people arrested in Queensland over ‘down syndrome’ hotspot

A total of 100 people have been arrested in a Brisbane “down syndrome hotspot” after police were called to a home in Southport on Tuesday.

Key points:Police arrested two people in relation to a ‘down-syndrome chicken’ that is a known source of illness for many peopleA number of people in Southbrough have been reported to have contracted the virus, with the number of confirmed cases now at about 80The incident happened at a house in the south-west of the state and police are still investigating the circumstances around the outbreakPolice have also been investigating reports of a ‘doughnut-making’ restaurant in South Brisbane and people who may have contracted it.

Police were called after reports of ‘a small house’ in the Southport suburb of Southport which had been “doubled-up” and “bumped up”.

Detective Sergeant David Williams from the South Queensland Health Department said he was unable to confirm whether the two people arrested were the source of the “bump-up”.

“This is a really unique case where there is no one who has been at the home that we’ve investigated,” he said.

“I’m not saying that’s what happened but we’ve had quite a few other cases of people that are on the street, but we’re looking into that.”

“We are looking at all possible pathways of transmission.”

Topics:health,community-and-society,health-administration,qld,cabinet-office,law-crime-and.courts,courts-and,brisbane-4000,southport-4215,south-port-ambertas-4715,lismore-4700More stories from Queensland